Ovambo

(redirected from Owambo)
Also found in: Dictionary.
Related to Owambo: Ovambo

Ovambo

 

(Ambo), a people living in southern Angola (population, approximately 120,000; 1970, estimate) and northern Namibia (population, 342,500; 1970 census).

The Ovambo are subdivided into the Ondonga, Ukualuthi, Ongandjera, Ukuanyama, Ukuambi, Ombalantu, and other tribes. They speak dialects of the Otjiambo language, which belongs to the Bantu family of languages. The Ovambo have preserved their local traditional beliefs; some are Lutherans. Most Ovambo engage in livestock breeding and hoe cultivation; others are employed on karakul breeding farms, in the mining and fish-canning industries, and in service-oriented occupations.

References in periodicals archive ?
The moment you say, "you Kavangos, you Domaras, you Owambos, you are discriminating and this causes division among us," said Geingos.
Hydrocarb Energy possesses a 90% working interest in the extremely prospective Owambo Basin concession with Namcor, the Namibian National Oil Company, holding the remaining 10%.
Many other groups exist with a bewildering array of different languages and dialects and with each cultural grouping containing several distinct sub-groups with the following being the major groupings: Owambo, Kavango, Damara, Mafwe, Masubia, San, Coloured, Caprivi, Basters, Whites (speaking German, Afrikaans, English and French) Herero, Nama and Tswana.
It is speculated that when the time comes, he will be discarded in favour of Jerry Ekandjo or Pendukeni Iivula-Ithana to ensure that the party and country presidency remain in the hands of the Northern Owambo tribe, and in particular that these positions come back to the Omusati region where Nujoma, Iivula-Ithna and Ekandjo hail from.
MARYAKINYI OWAMBO DEFENSE, MILITARY, NAVAL & AIR ATTACHE
However, a joint venture has been formed between Namibian state owned oil company Namcor and US company First African Oil Corporation (FAOC) to explore the Etosha and Owambo onshore basins.
It is, however, significant to note that an analysis of the location of projects supported by Swedish funding reveal no evidence to support internal criticism that a disproportionate amount of aid has been directed to SWAPO's regional power base in the Owambo region.
More Positive Results for Owambo Oil & Gas Exploration Effort
The rather slight difference between the high pressure east (cold) and the low pressure west (warmth), prevents the intense early morning cold of midwinter with mild to warm, or even hot days, especially in Owambo and Kavango.
On 27th November, 2013, Duma s board of directors sanctioned the attainment and contract was inked, following the attainment of a sole oil resource estimate for its oil and gas concession in the Owambo Basin adjacent to Angola in northern Namibia.
Omashikwa, a traditional fermented buttermilk is produced by the Owambo and Herero tribes living a community life in Namibia.