Owings and Merrill Skidmore
Skidmore, Owings and Merrill,American architectural firm founded in 1936 in New York City by Louis Skidmore (1897–1962), Nathaniel A. Owings (1903–84), and John O. Merrill (1896–1975). The firm helped to popularize the International styleInternational style,
in architecture, the phase of the modern movement that emerged in Europe and the United States during the 1920s. The term was first used by Philip Johnson in connection with a 1932 architectural exhibition held at the Museum of Modern Art, New York City.
..... Click the link for more information. during the postwar period. Their best-known early work is Lever House (1952), which was designed by Gordon BunshaftBunshaft, Gordon,
1909–90, American architect, b. Buffalo, N.Y. As chief designer for the architectural firm of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, Bunshaft was responsible for Lever House, New York City's first glass curtain-wall skyscraper (1952), which has been widely
..... Click the link for more information. and reflects the influence of Mies Van der RoheMies van der Rohe, Ludwig
, 1886–1969, German-American architect. A pioneer of modern architecture and one of its most influential figures, he is famous for his minimalist architectural dictum "less is more." In Germany, he was an assistant to Peter Behrens.
..... Click the link for more information. . Later in the century the firm adopted a postmodern aesthetic, seen in such buildings as the Worldwide Plaza in New York City (1989).
See A. Bush-Brown, Skidmore, Owings and Merrill: Architecture and Urbanism, 1973–1983 (1984).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/