Páros


Also found in: Dictionary.

Páros

(pä`rôs, pâr`ŏs), island (1991 pop. 9,591), c.81 sq mi (210 sq km), SE Greece, in the Aegean Sea; one of the CycladesCyclades
, Gr. Kikládhes [Gr.,=circular], island group (1991 pop. 94,005), c.1,000 sq mi (2,590 sq km), SE Greece, a part of the Greek archipelago, in the Aegean Sea stretching SE from Attica.
..... Click the link for more information.
. The main town is Páros. The land slopes to the coast from Mt. Hagios Ilias (c.2,500 ft/760 m high). Wine, tobacco, figs, and grains are produced on the island. The beautiful white, semitransparent Parian marble, used by sculptors and architects as early as the 6th cent. B.C., is quarried on the mountain. Páros was settled by Ionians and became a maritime power and a center of Aegean trade. In the 7th cent. B.C. it established colonies in ThásosThásos
, island (1991 pop. 13,527), c.170 sq mi (440 sq km), NE Greece, in the Aegean Sea. Timber, olive oil, honey, wine, and lead-zinc ores are its chief products; boatbuilding, fishing, and tourism are the main industries.
..... Click the link for more information.
 and on the Sea of Marmara. During the Persian Wars, Athens accused Páros of aiding the Persians and captured the island in 479 B.C. Páros was held by the Ottoman Turks from 1537 to 1832, when it joined Greece. Two marble fragments of a great historical inscription, called the Parian Chronicle, have been found on the island. The chronicle was set up after 263 B.C., its terminal date. The larger fragment (covering 1581–354 B.C.) is one of the Arundel Marbles, housed at Oxford, England; the smaller (covering 356–299 B.C.) is in a museum on Páros.

Paros

 

a Greek island in the Aegean Sea, in the Cyclades group. Paros has an area of 196 sq km and a maximum elevation of 771 m. The island is composed of crystalline rock and limestone. There are traces of volcanic activity. Paros is famous for its marble. The vegetation consists of Mediterranean shrubbery. There is stock raising and wine-making. The harbor of Naousa is on the northern part of the island.