1. a large area of land preserved in a natural state for recreational use by the public
2. a piece of open land in a town with public amenities
3. NZ an area, esp of mountain country, reserved for recreational purposes
4. a large area of land forming a private estate
5. English law an enclosed tract of land where wild beasts are protected, acquired by a subject by royal grant or prescription
6. an area designed and landscaped to accommodate a group of related enterprises, businesses, research establishments, etc.
8. the park Brit informal a soccer pitch
9. a gear selector position on the automatic transmission of a motor vehicle that acts as a parking brake
10. a high valley surrounded by mountains in the western US
1. Mungo . 1771--1806, Scottish explorer. He led two expeditions (1795--97; 1805--06) to trace the course of the Niger in Africa. He was drowned during the second expedition
2. Nick, full name Nicholas Wulstan Park. born 1958, British animator and film director; his films include A Grand Day Out (1992), which introduced the characters Wallace and Gromit, and the feature-length Chicken Run (2000)
3. Chung Hee. . 1917--79, South Korean politician; president of the Republic of Korea (1963--79); assassinated
An area, usually of public land set aside for recreation and leisure, usually owned and managed by a municipality, a state, a nation, or held by royal grant, or in some cases by private organizations.