Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Related to Palatine: palatine bone
Palatine,hill: see Rome before Augustus and Roman Empire under RomeRome,
Ital. Roma, city (1991 pop. 2,775,250), capital of Italy and see of the pope, whose residence, Vatican City, is a sovereign state within the city of Rome. Rome is also the capital of Latium, a region of central Italy, and of Rome prov.
..... Click the link for more information. .
Palatine(păl`ətīn), village (1990 pop. 39,253), Cook co., NE Ill.; inc. 1869. Primarily residential, the growing village manufactures a variety of products, such as machine tools and industrial adhesives. William Rainey Harper College is in Palatine.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
1. (of an individual) possessing royal prerogatives in a territory
2. of, belonging to, characteristic of, or relating to a count palatine, county palatine, palatinate, or palatine
3. Feudal history the lord of a palatinate
4. any of various important officials at the late Roman, Merovingian, or Carolingian courts
5. (in Colonial America) any of the proprietors of a palatine colony, such as Carolina
1. of or relating to the palate
2. either of two bones forming the hard palate
one of the Seven Hills of Rome: traditionally the site of the first settlement of Rome
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005