Paley Center for Media
Also found in: Wikipedia.
Paley Center for Media,American archive of radio and television programs, and forum for the discussion of the role and evolution of electronic media as well as the intersections of media and society; opened New York City as the Museum of Broadcasting 1976, renamed the Museum of Television and Radio 1990, moved to midtown Manhattan building designed by Philip JohnsonJohnson, Philip Cortelyou,
1906–2005, American architect, museum curator, and historian, b. Cleveland, grad. Harvard Univ. (B.A., 1927). One of the first Americans to study modern European architecture, Johnson wrote (with H.-R.
..... Click the link for more information. 1991, present name adopted 2007. The center is in effect the first public library devoted to the electronic media, but in addition it sponsors discussions of issues impacting the media. There are three criteria for adding a program to the center's collection: excellence, historical significance, and social impact. A West Coast branch, which duplicates the New York branch's entire collection of more than 140,000 television and radio programs and commercials covering more than 85 years of television and radio history, was opened in 1996 in Beverly Hills, Calif., in a building designed by Richard MeierMeier, Richard
, 1934–, American architect, b. Newark, N.J., educated at Cornell. During the 1960s, he was a member of the New York "Five" or "white" architects, a group that emulated the early International style. In such projects as the Smith House in Darien, Conn.
..... Click the link for more information. .