Palos de la Frontera
Also found in: Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Palos de la Frontera(pä`lōs dā lä frōntā`rä), town Huelva prov., SW Spain, in Andalusia, on the Tinto River near its mouth. From its port (now silted up), Columbus sailed on his first voyage of discovery (1492), returning and reembarking in 1493. Cortés landed there in 1528 after his conquest of Mexico. The Franciscan monastery at nearby La Rábida has Columbian mementos.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/