a village 60 km southeast of Frankfurt an der Oder, near which on July 12 (23), 1759, a battle was fought between Russian and Prussian troops during the Seven Years’ War of 1756–63.
The Russian Army under General-in-Chief P. S. Saltykov, with 28,000 infantry and 12,500 cavalry troops, was deployed in two lines on heights east and south of Palzig. A reinforced Prussian corps under General K. H. von Wedell of 18,000 infantry and more than 10,000 cavalry troops attacked the Russian positions four times in an attempt to rout the Russians before they could link up with the Austrians. After losing more than 4,000 men, the Prussians were forced to retreat. The victory at Palzig caused a drastic deterioration in the situation of Frederick IPs main forces, enabled the Russian and Austrian armies to link up, and opened the way to Berlin for the combined armies.