a city under republic jurisdiction; administrative center of Panevėẑys Raion, Lithuanian SSR. Situated on both banks of the Nevėẑis River, a tributary of the Nemunas (Neman), 150 km northwest of Vilnius. Railroad junction of lines to Daugavpils, Ioniškėlis, and Ŝiauliai; also a highway junction. Population, 88,000 (1974; 27,000 in 1939).
Panevėẑys has plants that produce kinescopes, cables, automatic compressors, electrical equipment, glass, and metal products. It has a milk combine, a sugar refinery, a mixed-feed plant, and combines that distill alcohol and process meats and flax. Other industries include furniture and clothing manufacture. An evening department of the Kaunas Polytechnic Institute is located in Panevėẑys, which also has a secondary specialized polytechnic school, a water management technicum, a medical school, and a school of music education. The city has a museum of local lore and a drama theater. Panevėẑys was founded in the 16th century.