Paramaribo (părˌəmărˈĭbō), city (1996 pop. 222,843), capital of Suriname, on the Suriname River, c.10 mi (16 km) from the Atlantic Ocean. It exports bauxite, sugarcane, rice, cacao, coffee, rum, and tropical woods. Manufactures include cement, paint, margarine, and beer. Paramaribo has a museum, a cathedral, and canals that are reminiscent of the Netherlands. It is connected with the interior by a single railroad. The area was settled by the British from Barbados in 1630, and in 1650 the city became the capital of the new English colony. Paramaribo changed hands often between the British and Dutch but finally came under Dutch rule in 1815. The inhabitants are chiefly of Asian Indian, indigenous, African, and Dutch descent.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2022, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.
a city and the capital of Surinam. Population, 102,300 (1971). The country’s main port, Paramaribo is situated on the left bank of the Surinam River, 20 km from where the Surinam empties into the Atlantic Ocean. It is a commercial center, with food-processing (cocoa butter), woodworking, and other industries. Exports include rice, citrus fruits, bananas, shrimp, wood, and sugar. There is an aluminum plant near the city.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.