Pavlov, Vladimir Iakovlevich
Born Oct. 26, 1923, in Mosal’sk, Kaluga Oblast. Soviet party official and diplomat. Member of the CPSU since 1948.
Between 1941 and 1944, Pavlov, the son of an office worker, was first a communications technician on the construction of the Saratov-Vol’sk railroad and then worked as a foreman of a mobile track repair and building train of the Ministry of Railroads. He graduated from the Moscow Institute of Railroad Transport in 1950. Beginning in 1949, he was engaged in Komsomol work. Pavlov was secretary and second secretary of the Moscow city committee of the Komsomol from 1952 to 1956. After shifting to party work in 1956, he was secretary of the Moscow city committee of the CPSU from 1962 to 1965 and second secretary from 1965 to 1971.
Pavlov was appointed ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary of the USSR to the Hungarian People’s Republic in March 1971. He was elected to the Central Committee of the CPSU at the Twenty-third, Twenty-fourth, and Twenty-fifth Party Congresses and was also a deputy to the seventh and eighth convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. Pavlov has been awarded the Order of the October Revolution, three other orders, and various medals.