Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city under oblast jurisdiction and administrative center of Pavlovo Raion, Gorky Oblast, RSFSR. Landing on the right bank of the Oka River. Terminus (Metallist station) of the railroad line from Gorky. Population, 67,000 (1974; 32,000 in 1939; 48,000 in 1959).
Pavlovo was founded in 1566. In the early 17th century it was a center for handmade iron and steel wares, including locks and knives. In 1918 it became a district capital of Nizhny Novgorod Province. In 1929 it was made a raion administrative center of Nizhny Novgorod (Gorky) Krai, and in 1936 of Gorky Oblast.
Pavlovo is an important machine-building and metalworking center, producing buses, automobile body parts, and tools. It has an experimental plant that manufactures trial batches of power tools and instruments for driving, gardening, and installation work, as well as enterprises of the food-processing industry. The city’s S. M. Kirov Plant manufactures flatware, and a souvenir factory produces folding knives with artistic designs. There is an automotive mechanics technicum and a museum of industry in the city. The indoor lemon tree developed in Pavlovo has become well known.