Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city and administrative center of Pechory Raion, Pskov Oblast, RSFSR. It is situated 3 km from the Pechory-Pskovskie railroad station on the Pskov-Valka line. It has a collector-drain pipe plant and a knitwear factory. There is a museum of local lore in the city.
Pechory arose in the 16th century as the trading quarter for the Pskov-Pechory Monastery. Together with the monastery, it was an important strategic point on the western frontier of the Russian state from the 16th to early 18th centuries. From the end of the 18th century, it was a city in Pskov Province and Pskov District. From 1920 to 1940 it was part of bourgeois Estonia. It was occupied by fascist German troops from August 1941 through Aug. 11, 1944. Since 1945 it has been part of Pskov Oblast.