Also found in: Wikipedia.


A high explosive composed of pentaerythritol and trinitrotoluene.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.



an explosive; a mixture of trinitrotoluene (TNT) and pentaerythritol tetranitrate (PETN). Cast pentolite, which consists of 50 percent TNT and 50 percent PETN by weight, has a density of 1.6 g/cm3 and detonates at a rate of 7,400 m/sec. Pentolite is used for loading ammunition and as a relay detonator for initiating powdered and water-filled explosives.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
(4) (b) The bomber, Jose Aldemar Rojas Rodriguez, drove a 1993 Nissan Patrol carrying 80 kilograms of pentolite (c) to the academy.
(10) Colombian authorities determined that the vehicle was brought to the neighborhood of Usme in Bogota in order to load the pentolite and the IED onto it.
The vehicle was carrying 80kg (176lb) of the powerful explosive pentolite, which has been used in the past by Colombia's rebel guerrilla groups, said Attorney General Nestor Humberto Martinez.
He said the vehicle, a gray Nissan Patrol SUV, was carrying 80 kilograms (176 lb) of the high explosive pentolite, which has been used in the past by Colombian guerrillas.
Philippine Ambassador to Colombia Marichu Mauro reported that a truck containing 80 kilograms of explosive pentolite exploded after ramming a wall inside the General Santander Police Academy.
Chief Prosecutor Nestor Martinez said a 56-year-old man named Jose Aldemar Rojas, driving a 1993 Nissan pick-up loaded with 175 pounds of pentolite, carried out the attack.
Most books on protective services lack the kind of detail that King provides, such as an explanation of common explosives including lead azide and Pentolite. Also unlike other authors, he stresses the seemingly obvious but often disregarded traits that protection specialists must possess, including discretion, flexibility, and willingness to know the client.
The primary charge (some 20% of the total) is cap-sensitive explosive (Mex boost; Indoboost; Pentolite booster; SMS; Indomite) and the column charge (the remaining 80%) is non-cap sensitive explosive (Indogel; ANFO; Energel; Mex blast).