Petah Tiqwa


Also found in: Dictionary.

Petah Tiqwa

(pĕtä` tēk`vä), town (1994 pop. 152,000), W central Israel. Its industries produce textiles, plastics, processed foods, tires and other rubber products, and soap. There are extensive citrus groves on the outskirts, and building stone is quarried nearby. Petah Tiqwa was founded in 1878 as the first modern Jewish agricultural settlement in Palestine; it has grown to become one of Israel's most populous towns.

Petah Tiqwa

 

a city in Israel’s Central District, 12 km east of Tel Aviv. Population, 83,200 (1972). Petah Tiqwa is a highway junction and has a railroad station. The center of a region of citrus plantations, it also has machine-building, textile, and metalworking plants. Other enterprises process food and condiments and manufacture soap.

Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Two young sons of the rabbi were grief-stricken at his burial at a cemetery in the town of Petah Tiqwa.