Petr Maksimov

Maksimov, Petr Nikolaevich


Born Jan. 14 (27), 1903, in Moscow; died there May 18, 1972. Soviet historian of architecture; doctor of architecture (1970).

Maksimov studied in Moscow at the State Higher Arts and Technical Studios and the State Higher Institute of Art and Technology from 1921 to 1929. He studied architectural monuments and carried out a number of important restoration projects in Moscow, Pskov, and Novgorod. Maksimov’s main works, on Russian architecture of the 11th to 13th centuries, Russian architecture of the second half of the 19th century, and Russian wooden architecture from the late 16th to the early 20th centuries, are distinguished by completeness of data on the monuments and their links with the historical and historicoartistic processes. His works are published in the multivolume compendiums The History of Russian Art (vol. 3, 1955; vol. 4, 1959) and The General History of Architecture (vol. 3, 1966; vol. 6, 1968) and the collection Architectural Heritage (from 1951). Maksimov was awarded the Order of the Badge of Honor and various medals.


“Pamiati P. N. Maksimova.” Arkhitektura SSSR, no. 8, 1972.