Pierpont Morgan Library
Also found in: Acronyms.
Pierpont Morgan Library,originally the private library of J. Pierpont Morgan, in 1924 made a public institution by his son J. P. Morgan as a memorial to his father (see MorganMorgan,
American family of financiers and philanthropists.
Junius Spencer Morgan, 1813–90, b. West Springfield, Mass., prospered at investment banking. As a boy he became a dry-goods clerk in Boston; later he entered a brokerage house in New York City.
..... Click the link for more information. , family). The library is privately supported; it is located at Madison Ave. and 36th St., New York City. It consists of the original Beaux-Arts building (1906) designed by McKim, Mead & White, a 1928 annex, and a modern addition (2006) designed by Renzo Piano. The library is especially rich in illuminated manuscripts and in authors' manuscripts (including works by Dickens, Scott, and Balzac); the collection also includes, among many other riches, hundreds of Bibles in all languages, early printed books, outstanding Old Master prints and drawings, one of the largest collections of Aldine Press editions (see Aldus ManutiusAldus Manutius
or Aldo Manuzio
, 1450–1515, Venetian printer. He was educated as a humanistic scholar and became tutor to several of the great ducal families. One of them, the Pio family, provided him with money to establish a printery in Venice.
..... Click the link for more information. ), and the only perfect copy of Malory's Morte d'Arthur printed by Caxton. The publications of the library include monographs, catalogs of collections and exhibits, reprints, and fascimiles. It is open to scholars for research and to the general public for exhibitions and lectures.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/