Pierre Lescot

Also found in: Wikipedia.

Lescot, Pierre


Born circa 1500–15 in Paris (?); died Sept. 10, 1578, in Paris. French architect.

Lescot worked in Paris, primarily with the sculptor J. Goujon. His works, which include an ambo at the church of St. Germain l’Auxerrois (c. 1542–44, fragments in the Louvre) and the reconstruction of the Louvre (by 1574 only part of the Square Court was completed), represent the pinnacle of the French Renaissance and are marked by strongly articulated columns and entablatures, profuse sculptural decoration, and subtle handling of details. Lescot is believed to have designed the Lignières Hotel (now the Carnavalet, from 1544) and to have participated in the construction of the Fountain of Innocents (1547–49, not preserved in its original state).


Hautecoeur, L. Histoire de l’architecture classique en France, vol. 1. Paris, 1965.
References in periodicals archive ?
CHATEAU DES CONDE - First built in the 14th Century, the chateau was restored as a magnificent palace in 1548 by Pierre Lescot, architect of the Louvre
Frangois I (1515-47) began the westward expansion of Renaissance Paris in 1546, when he had part of the medieval fortress of the Louvre pulled down and commissioned Pierre Lescot to begin a new palace in its place.
Contract notice: market for new construction of 15 multi-family dwellings and residentialization of the le corbusier mail site, rue pierre lescot in lognes 77185
the operation concerns a 15-unit new construction market with the demolition of the playground, the completion of residentialization work, the treatment of exterior surfaces of the le corbusier mail site, rue pierre lescot in lognes 77185.
Pierre Lescot, visiting the park with his wife and daughters, said: "So many shows and tricks keep happening that for a few seconds people froze, not knowing if it was real or a stunt."
Contract notice: Project Management Mission () Out Mop Law Competence Of Technical Design Office Electrically Upgrading Of Electrically Installations Lyce Pierre Lescot 35-37 Rue Des Bourdonnais 75001 Paris
Main features: project management mission (outlaw Mop) - upgrading of school facilities electrically 35-37 rue Pierre Lescot Bourdonnais 75001 Paris The market is conditional phases.
Contractor address : ZI de la Renaissance 93 rue Pierre Lescot
2014 leonardo stays in england and spain for high school students pierre lescot (paris)