Pitareti

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Pitareti

 

a church belonging to the first quarter of the 13th century, one of the finest examples of medieval Georgian architecture. The church is located 15 km southwest of the village of Tetri-Tskaro in the Georgian SSR. The structure is rectangular in plan with a dome supported by two freestanding pillars and by apsidal projections. A chapel is attached to the southern side. Built with light stones of various hues, the church is well known for the abundance of masterful ornamental carving on the facades and the drum.

REFERENCE

Chubinashvili, G. N. “K voprosu o natsional’noi forme v arkhitekture proshlogo.” In An Georgica, [vol.] 3. Tbilisi, 1950. Pages 191–200.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.