Placetas


Also found in: Wikipedia.

Placetas

(pläsā`täs), city (1994 est. pop. 42,000), Villa Clara prov., central Cuba. Tobacco processing is the city's chief industry. Placetas is located on a major highway and serves as a railroad center. The city was founded in 1867.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Placetas

 

a city in the central part of Cuba. Population, 32,300 (1970). Placetas has food-processing, tobacco, leather-goods (including footwear), and garment industries. It also has enterprises that produce building materials. There are sugarcane and tobacco plantations in the city’s outskirts. [19—1895—4]

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
This new basin, the Arrayan basin (Fig 10d and 11a), hosted the turbiditic series of the Arrayan Formation (Agua Dulce Metaturbidites and Puerto Manso formations) on its western side and platform deposits on its eastern side, which at the latitude of the study area are the Las Placetas beds (Reutter, 1974) and the Hurtado Formation (Mpodozis and Cornejo, 1988).
In 1923 a friend of his father's gave him a piece of barren land in Jagueyes (southeast of Placetas), suspecting that his new "fanatical religion" was an indication that his mental health was failing and that all that would happen was that the land would be cleared of brush and thorns.
Towns such as Mantua (Pinar del Rio), Santa Cruz del Norte (Mayabeque), Manicaragua (Villa Clara), Aguada de Pasajeros (Cienfuegos), Jaguey Grande (Matanzas) and Placetas and Fomento (Sancti Spiritus) are already involved under the supervision of Cuba-Energia (Centro de Gestion de la Informacion y Desarrollo de la Energia).
El mismo esta ubicado en la linea de ferrocarril que une a las ciudades de Santa Clara y Placetas (a 7 km de la primera).