Pointe Coupee Parish

(redirected from Pointe Coupee Parish, LA)

Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana

PO Box 86
New Roads, LA 70760
Phone: (225) 638-9596
Fax: (225) 638-9590
www.pcpolicejury.org

In south-central LA, northwest of Baton Rouge; organized 1807 (prior to statehood). Name Origin: From French 'cut-off point,' descriptive of a point where the Mississippi River cut a new channel

Area (sq mi):: 590.68 (land 557.34; water 33.34) Population per square mile: 40.10
Population 2005: 22,377 State rank: 42 Population change: 2000-20005 -1.70%; 1990-2000 1.00% Population 2000: 22,763 (White 60.30%; Black or African American 37.80%; Hispanic or Latino 1.10%; Asian 0.30%; Other 1.10%). Foreign born: 0.90%. Median age: 36.70
Income 2000: per capita $15,387; median household $30,618; Population below poverty level: 23.10% Personal per capita income (2000-2003): $20,484-$22,783
Unemployment (2004): 7.50% Unemployment change (from 2000): -1.20% Median travel time to work: 31.20 minutes Working outside county of residence: 45.40%
Cities with population over 10,000: None
See other counties in .
References in periodicals archive ?
Rogers, 31 January 1942, both in file "Pointe Coupee Parish, La. AD-S 10," box 193, General Correspondence Maintained in the Cincinnati Office, 1935-42, Records of the Office of the Administrator, Records of the Central Office, Records of the Farmers Home Administration, Record Group 96, National Archives (hereafter cited as General Correspondence, Cincinnati Office, RG 96).
Baldwin, 21 October 1941, file "Pointe Coupee Parish, La. AD-510," box 193, General Correspondence, Cincinnati Office, RG 96; Mimi Feingold, "Parish Scouting Report--Summer Project, Pointe Coupee Parish," 14 April 1964, 2, file 20, box 1, Congress of Racial Equality, Sixth Congressional District Papers, State Historical Society of Wisconsin (hereafter cited as CORE Sixth Congressional District Papers); "Report for Pointe Coupee Parish," n.d.
Parlange, one of the finest plantation houses of the bayou country in Louisiana and a classic example of French colonial architecture, was built at New Roads, Pointe Coupee Parish, La., by Marquis Vincent de Ternant, whose descendants still own it.