Pokrov on the Nerl, Church of
Pokrov on the Nerl’, Church of
an outstanding example of the Vladimir-Suzdal’ school of architecture. The Church of Pokrov on the Nerl’ was built in 1165 near Bogo-liubovo (in present-day Vladimir Oblast), at the point where the Nerl’ River empties into the Kliaz’ma. The white-stone cruciform church has four piers and a dome. It is distinguished by the extraordinary grace of its somewhat elongated proportions, the elegance of its plastic forms (recessed corbels and portals, sculptural ornamentation), and its striking setting against the background of the broad floodplain of the Nerl’ and Kliaz’ma rivers. Until 1672 the church had a tower with a passageway to the choir.
N. N. Voronin has hypothesized that the church was originally surrounded by a graceful covered gallery.