Polish-Czechoslovak Treaty of 1967 on Friendship, Cooperation, and
Polish-Czechoslovak Treaty of 1967 on Friendship, Cooperation, and Mutual Assistance
a treaty signed on March 1 in Warsaw for Poland by W. Gomułlka, first secretary of the Central Committee of the Polish United Workers’ Party; E. Ochab, chairman of the State Council; and J. Cyrankiewicz, chairman of the Council of Ministers; and for Czechoslovakia by A. Novotný, first secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia and president of the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic, and J. Lenárt, chairman of the government. It was concluded for a term of 20 years.
The parties pledged to further strengthen the friendship between the two states, develop comprehensive cooperation, and provide mutual assistance on the basis of the principles of equality, mutual respect, sovereignty, and nonintervention in each other’s internal affairs. In accordance with the Warsaw Pact of 1955, they pledged to undertake all necessary measures to prevent aggression by the forces of militarism and revanchism. In the event of an armed attack on one of the parties by another state or group of states, the other party will immediately render military aid and any other form of assistance. The parties stated that the Munich Pact of 1938 was a violation of the principles of international law and therefore was invalid from the very start. The parties declared that they would strive to safeguard European security, a substantial factor relating to which is the inviolability of the existing European state boundaries. The parties proclaimed their determination to consistently implement the policy of peaceful coexistence among countries with different social systems and to continue the efforts aimed at safeguarding peace and security, alleviating international tension, ending the arms race, achieving universal and complete disarmament, and liquidating colonialism and neocolonialism in any form.
PUBLICATIONSTrybuna Ludu, Mar. 2, 1967.
Rudé Právo, Mar. 2, 1967.