Polius Nedostupnosti

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Polius Nedostupnosti

 

(Pole of Inaccessibility), a Soviet antarctic scientific station, located on an ice plateau of Eastern Antarctica in the region farthest from the coast (82° 06’ S lat. and 54° 58′ E long.) at an elevation of 3,719 m. The ice sheet in the station’s vicinity is 2,980 m thick. The station was established on Dec. 14, 1958, at the termination point of an expedition by sledge and caterpillar-tread vehicles from Mirnyi. Participants in the expedition conducted scientific observations over a distance of 2,110 km, carried out meteorological, actinometric, geomagnetic, and glaciological observations for two weeks, and made seismic soundings of the ice sheet.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.