an urban-type settlement in Dze-rzhinskii Raion, Kaluga Oblast, RSFSR. Situated on the Sukho-drev River (Oka River basin), Polotnianyi Zavod has a railroad station on the Kaluga-Viaz’ma line, 32 km northwest of Kaluga. Industrial enterprises include a paper mill and a plant that produces crushed stone.
In 1718, the Kaluga merchant T. F. Karamyshev built a sail and canvas plant (parusno-polotnianyi zavod) in the settlement, giving the settlement its name. In 1720, Karamyshev, together with G. Shchepochkin and A. Goncharov (the great-greatgrandfather of the wife of A. S. Pushkin) founded a paper mill, a major manufactory of 18th-century Russia. In 1735 the plant became the property of the Goncharovs. In 1830 and 1834, Pushkin visited the settlement. In the 1860’s a cotton-textiles plant was built on the site of the sail and canvas plant.