Poltava Institute of Hog Raising

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Poltava Institute of Hog Raising

 

scientific research institute established in 1930 as a successor to the livestock-breeding division of Poltava Agricultural Experiment Station. In 1973 the institute had divisions of breeding, nutrition, feed processing, animal hygiene, economics and organization, the technology of industrial pork production, and scientific and technical information. It had laboratories of physiology, biochemistry, development and use of hog lines, and animal-breeding analysis; experimental farms; and an artificial insemination station.

The institute deals with theoretical and practical aspects of developing new breeds and lines of hogs and improving existing ones. It conducts research to improve feeding, fattening, and maintenance and to introduce complete mechanization and progressive production technology. It has developed the Mirgorod breed of hogs. The institute offers a graduate program, including a correspondence graduate program. It has published its Trudy (Transactions) since 1930.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.