Pond Fisheries, Institute of

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Pond Fisheries, Institute of

 

(full name, All-Union Scientific Research Institute of Pond Fisheries of the Ministry of Fisheries of the USSR), the coordinating center for research on fish-farming in the inland bodies of water of the USSR. The Institute of Pond Fisheries develops systems and biological techniques for fish-farming in ponds, tanks, and pools; such systems and techniques are applicable to specific natural and economic zones of the USSR. The institute is also concerned with problems of intensifying productional processes in ponds, increasing fish productivity, and intensifying fish growth.

Established in Moscow in 1932, the institute was moved to the settlement of Rybnoe in Dmitrov raion, Moscow Oblast in 1962. As of 1974 there were 19 specialized laboratories and several experimental centers, including the lakot’ Fish-breeding Plant and the Shatura, Zagorsk, Pialovskaia, and Electrogorsk centers (Moscow Oblast). The Konakovo Fish-breeding Plant (Kalinin Oblast) is also run by the institute. The graduate program offers courses both at the institute or through the mail. The institute has published Trudy (Transactions) since 1935.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.