Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Port Royal:see Annapolis RoyalAnnapolis Royal,
town (1991 pop. 633), W N.S., Canada, on the Annapolis River. Founded as Port Royal by the sieur de Monts in 1605, the settlement was destroyed (1613) by English colonists under Samuel Argall but was rebuilt by the French.
..... Click the link for more information. , N.S., Canada.
Port Royal,former coastal city and port, S Jamaica. Situated on a deepwater harbor on the Caribbean shipping lanes between Spain and Panama, a settlement was established in the 1th cent. by Spain at the end of a 10-mi (16-km) sand spit. It was captured in 1655 by the English, who built a fort that came to be surrounded by hundreds of houses, shops, and warehouses. Privateers and buccaneers, commissioned by the English to raid Spanish and other shipping and settlements, used Port Royal as a center of operations; they defended the city and shared their booty with the Crown and the city residents. Among the most famous pirates who called the city home was Sir Henry MorganMorgan, Sir Henry,
1635?–1688, Welsh buccaneer. In his youth he went to the West Indies, eventually joining the buccaneers there. On the death (1667) of Edward Mansfield, Morgan took his place as commander of the buccaneers.
..... Click the link for more information. . By the 1660s Port Royal was known as a rich, dangerous, sin-ridden, wide-open city. As the it prospered, the trade in slaves, sugar, and raw materials also became importantce. Port Royal was the largest English city in the New World, with some 8,000 inhabitants, when in 1692 a massive earthquake struck the city, sinking much of beneath the sea. A small town remains on the site.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
1. a fortified town in SE Jamaica, at the entrance to Kingston harbour: capital of Jamaica in colonial times
2. the former name (until 1710) of Annapolis Royal
3. an educational institution about 27 km (17 miles) west of Paris that flourished from 1638 to 1704, when it was suppressed by papal bull as it had become a centre of Jansenism. Its teachers were noted esp for their work on linguistics: their Grammaire générale et raisonnée exercised much influence
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005