porter(redirected from Portes)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to Portes: Porters
alcoholic beverage made by brewing and fermenting cereals, especially malted barley, usually with the addition of hops as a flavoring agent and stabilizer. One of the oldest of alcoholic beverages (there is archaeological evidence dating to c.3000 B.C.
..... Click the link for more information. .
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
US and Canadian a railway employee who waits on passengers, esp in a sleeper
RC Church a person ordained to what was formerly the lowest in rank of the minor orders
Brit a dark sweet ale brewed from black malt
1. Cole. 1893--1964, US composer and lyricist of musical comedies. His most popular songs include Night and Day and Let's do It
2. George, Baron Porter of Luddenham. 1920--2002, British chemist, who shared a Nobel prize for chemistry in 1967 for his work on flash photolysis
3. Katherine Anne. 1890--1980, US short-story writer and novelist. Her best-known collections of stories are Flowering Judas (1930) and Pale Horse, Pale Rider (1939)
4. Peter. born 1929, Australian poet, living in Britain
5. Rodney Robert. 1917--85, British biochemist: shared the Nobel prize for physiology or medicine 1972 for determining the structure of an antibody
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005