post(redirected from Posten)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Wikipedia.
(1) Mail transmitted by postal enterprises. This includes periodicals, written correspondence, parcels, and money orders.
(2) Postal enterprises, which receive, forward, distribute and deliver mail. These enterprises include main post offices, postal centers, post offices for the transport of postal matter by rail, air, or water, and various post offices subordinate to main post offices or postal centers.
In the broad sense, the term designates the whole postal service.
(1) A place where there is military activity and which is guarded and defended by a sentry; also, an area or a sector of the terrain where a sentry carries out his duties.
In the Soviet armed forces the location of posts and the procedure for organizing and implementing guard duty and defense are set forth in the Garrison and Guard Duty Regulations of the Armed Forces of the USSR. Posts are located near the banners of units; at storehouses of ammunition, explosives, and weapons; and at combat-matériel depots.
(2) A soldier or a small military subunit carrying out a special mission, such as an antiaircraft defense post, an aviation liaison post, and a sentry post.
You should only post a message if you think it will be of interest to a significant proportion of the readers of the group or list, otherwise you should use private electronic mail instead. See netiquette.
POST(1) (post) To place an entry on a blog or social networking site or to place a new or revised page on a website. This term dates back to the earliest days of manual record keeping, where "to post to an account" meant to make an entry in a paper ledger.
(2) (Power On Self Test) A series of built-in diagnostics performed by the BIOS in a PC when the computer is first started. See POST code and POST card.
(3) (POST) An HTTP command used to send text to a Web server for processing. See HTTP POST.
(4) (post) Short for post-production.