Poti(redirected from Poti Sea Port)
Poti(pô`tyē), city (1989 pop. 50,922), W Georgia, on the Black Sea at the mouth of the Rion River. It is a port that ships manganese (from Chiatura), corn, lumber, and wine. The region around Poti is the swampy Colchis lowland. The city was known as Phasis in the 5th cent. B.C., when it was a Greek colony. It later became a Turkish fortress and was taken by the Russians in 1828.
a city under republic jurisdiction in the Georgian SSR. Port on the Black Sea, at the mouth of the Rioni River. Linked by a railroad branch 40 km long with the station of Tskhakaia on the Rostov-on-Don-Samtredia line. Population, 51,000 (1974).
Poti was founded on the site of the Poti Fortress, which was built in 1578 by the Turks and called Kale Fa§. In 1809 it was captured by Russian troops but was returned to Turkey in 1812. In 1828 it was incorporated into Russia, and in 1858 it became a city of Kutaisi Province.
Poti has a shipyard, a flour mill, and plants that manufacture hydraulic equipment, electrical equipment, and dynamoelectric amplifiers. An important fishing center, Poti has a fish combine. Educational and cultural institutions include an evening division of the Georgian Polytechnical Institute, the Colchis Integrated Agricultural Experimental Station of the All-Union Scientific Research Institute of Tea and Subtropical Crops, a hydraulic development technicum, medical and music schools, a drama theater, and a museum of local lore.