a commercial Soviet port located on the southern Black Sea coast of the Caucasus; part of the Georgian Steamship Lines. Poti Seaport was founded in 1858; its hydraulic and engineering structures (piers, basins, and shore reinforcement works) were constructed between 1863 and 1905.
Poti Seaport is a highly mechanized transport enterprise. Among the facilities used for the loading and unloading of ships and railroad cars are hawsers, gantry cranes, and automatic electric loaders. The seaport also has warehouses. More than 3 million tons of cargo are handled by the port yearly. This cargo includes manganese ore, bauxites, coal, metal, and equipment. Soviet and foreign ships stop at Poti Seaport to receive provisions, material and technical supplies, water, and fuel.