Powell(redirected from Powel)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Related to Powel: Colin Powell
1. Anthony (Dymoke). 1905--2000, British novelist, best known for his sequence of novels under the general title A Dance to the Music of Time (1951--75)
2. Cecil Frank. 1903--69, British physicist, who was awarded the Nobel prize for physics in 1950 for his discovery of the pi-meson
3. Colin (Luther) . born 1937, US politician and general; Republican secretary of state from 2001
4. Earl, known as Bud Powell. 1924--1966, US modern-jazz pianist
5. (John) Enoch. 1912--98, British politician. An outspoken opponent of Commonwealth immigration into Britain and of British membership of the Common Market (now the European Union), in 1974 he resigned from the Conservative Party, returning to Parliament as a United Ulster Unionist Council member (1974--87)
6. Michael. 1905--90, British film writer, producer, and director, best known for his collaboration (1942--57) with Emeric Pressburger. Films include The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943), A Matter of Life and Death (1946), The Red Shoes (1948), and Peeping Tom (1960)
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
The Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography, by John S. Bowman. Copyright © Cambridge University Press 1995. Reproduced with permission.