Poznan Machine-Building and Metalworking Complex
Poznań Machine-Building and Metalworking Complex
(H. Cegielski Machine-building and Metal-working Complex), one of Poland’s largest industrial enterprises. Located in Poznań, the complex consists of ten large plants specializing in the manufacture of ship engines, railroad passenger and freight cars, and metalworking machines. It was founded in 1846 by the industrialist H. Cegielski as a repair shop for agricultural implements. The first ironworks in western Poland was organized on the site in 1859. The enterprise began producing steam locomotives in 1918, railroad freight cars in 1921, railroad passenger cars in 1928, and motorized railroad cars in 1931.
Prior to World War II and during the first postwar years, the Cegielski complex was well known as a producer and exporter of locomotives. In 1958 it stopped manufacturing steam locomotives and began producing ship engines ranging from 120 hp to 27,000 hp. The enterprise’s production capacity increased 2.6 times between 1945 and 1970. Since 1960 more than 50 percent of the complex’s output has been exported. The enterprise was awarded the Order of the Banner of Labor First Class in 1966.
L. S. SAVOSTINA