Prikhodskie Uchilishcha

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Prikhodskie Uchilishcha

 

(parish schools), a type of elementary school in prerevolutionary Russia. The Statute of 1804 established them as one-year schools attached to church parishes. In 1828 they became two-year schools. In accordance with the Regulations adopted in 1864, they were placed under the supervision of the Synod and called tserkovno-prikhodskie shkoly (church-parish schools).

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.