proprietary(redirected from Proprietaryship)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial.
1. of, relating to, or belonging to property or proprietors
2. Med of or denoting a drug or agent manufactured and distributed under a trade name
3. Med a proprietary drug or agent
4. a proprietor or proprietors collectively
a. right to property
b. property owned
6. (in Colonial America) an owner, governor, or grantee of a proprietary colony
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
In marketroid-speak, superior; implies a product imbued with exclusive magic by the unmatched brilliance of the company's own hardware or software designers.
In the language of hackers and users, inferior; implies a product not conforming to open-systems standards, and thus one that puts the customer at the mercy of a vendor who can inflate service and upgrade charges after the initial sale has locked the customer in.
This article is provided by FOLDOC - Free Online Dictionary of Computing (foldoc.org)
proprietaryPrivate. Proprietary hardware and software are owned and controlled by a single organization or individual. Contrast with open.
Copyright © 1981-2019 by The Computer Language Company Inc. All Rights reserved. THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.