a bay in the Anadyr’ Gulf of the Bering Sea, off the southeastern coast of the Chukchi Peninsula. It is some 50 km long and about 9 km wide at the entrance. The shores are steep and high, with a maximum height of 600–800 m. Tides are semidiurnal and reach 1 m in height. Between May and October the bay is totally or partially free of ice. The port of Provideniia and an arctic station are on the bay.
Provideniia Bay was discovered in 1660 by a Russian expedition led by K. Ivanov. It was named in 1848 by Captain Moore, an Englishman, in commemoration of the “happy providence” that had allowed his ship to winter in the bay [providenie is Russian for “providence”].