a city in Poland, in Lublin Województwo on the Vistula River. Population, 39,800 (1973). A center of the chemical industry, Puławy has the country’s largest nitrogen fertilizer combine. One of Europe’s first agricultural schools, the Novo-aleksandriia Institute of Agriculture and Forestry, was established in the city in the 19th century.
Puławy is the site of one of Poland’s largest palace and park complexes, built in the classical style between 1785 and 1810 by the architect P. Aigner. In the 18th century it became the residence of the Czartoryski family. In the English-style park are a palace, originally built in the baroque style circa 1676 (architect Tylman a Gameren) and rebuilt circa 1809; the Marynka Palace (1790–94); a church (1800–03); and two pavilions, called the Temple of the Sibyl (1798–1801) and the Gothic House (1800–09).