Racibórz


Also found in: Wikipedia.

Racibórz

(rätsē`bo͞osh), Ger. Ratibor, town (1994 est. pop. 65,300), Śląskie prov., S Poland, on the Oder River. A river port and rail junction, it also has industries producing electrical equipment, chemicals, wood products, and foodstuffs. Chartered in 1217, it became (1288) the capital of a free imperial principality. It passed with Silesia to the house of Hapsburg in 1526 and to Prussia in 1745. It was (1822–1918) the capital of the principality, after 1840 the duchy, of Ratibor. It was heavily damaged in World War II and was incorporated into Poland in 1945.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Racibórz

 

a city in southwestern Poland, in Katowice Woje-wództwo; situated on the Oder River. Population, 42,000 (1973). The city manufactures electrodes, boilers for steam power plants, and bricks. The local food-processing industry includes sugar, confectionery, and milling industries.

REFERENCE

Kracherowa, N. Ziemia raciborska. Katowice, 1972.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.