Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
1. Allan. ?1686--1758, Scottish poet, editor, and bookseller, noted particularly for his pastoral comedy The Gentle Shepherd (1725): first person to introduce the circulating library in Scotland
2. his son, Allan 1713--84, Scottish portrait painter
3. James Andrew Broun. See (1st Marquis and 10th Earl of) Dalhousie
4. Gordon. born 1963, British chef and restaurateur; the only British-born chef to achieve a third Michelin star (2001)
5. Sir William. 1852--1916, Scottish chemist. He discovered argon (1894) with Rayleigh, isolated helium (1895), and identified neon, krypton, and xenon: Nobel prize for chemistry 1904