Rastatt(redirected from Rastadt)
Rastatt(rä`shtät, –stät), city (1994 pop. 48,574), Baden-Württemberg, SW Germany, on the Murg River, near the French border; sometimes spelled Rastadt. Manufactures include machinery, lumber, beer, and furniture. First mentioned in 1247, Rastatt was destroyed (1689) by the French, but was soon rebuilt and served (1705–71) as the residence of the margraves of Baden-Baden. The Treaty of Rastatt (Mar., 1714) complemented the treaties signed at Utrecht and Baden in 1713–14 (see Utrecht, Peace ofUtrecht, Peace of,
series of treaties that concluded the War of the Spanish Succession. It put an end to French expansion and signaled the rise of the British Empire. By the treaty between England and France (Apr.
..... Click the link for more information. ); together they ended the War of the Spanish Succession. As a result of the Treaty of Campo FormioCampo Formio, Treaty of
, Oct., 1797, peace treaty between France and Austria, signed near Campo Formio, a village near Udine, NE Italy, then in Venetia. It marked the end of the early phases of the French Revolutionary Wars.
..... Click the link for more information. (1797), a congress of the states of the Holy Roman Empire (attended by France) was held (1797–99) at Rastatt in order to determine compensation for the member states that had lost territory near the Rhine River to France during the French Revolutionary WarsFrench Revolutionary Wars,
wars occurring in the era of the French Revolution and the beginning of the Napoleonic era, the decade of 1792–1802. The wars began as an effort to defend the Revolution and developed into wars of conquest under the empire.
..... Click the link for more information. ; the congress was prematurely adjourned after the resumption of hostilities against France. Noteworthy city buildings include a baroque palace (17th–18th cent.) and several 18th-century churches.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/