Rastatt Congress of 1797–99

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Rastatt Congress of 1797–99

 

a congress convoked in Rastatt, southern Baden, in compliance with the Treaty of Campo Formio of 1797 to settle territorial questions regarding the Holy Roman Empire and France.

The congress opened in December 1797 with the participation of France, Austria, Prussia, and the small German states of the Holy Roman Empire. In March 1798 the joint imperial delegation to the Rastatt Congress gave formal approval to the transfer of the left bank of the Rhine to France. The Rastatt Congress closed in April 1799 after the beginning of the War of the Second Coalition (of which Austria was a member) against France.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.