allowance

(redirected from Recommended dietary allowance)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial.

allowance

Brit Education a salary supplement given to a teacher who is appointed to undertake extra duties and responsibilities

Allowance

 

a discount from the agreed price, applicable when goods received are of poor quality. Stipulations for such an allowance are common in international trade.

allowance

[ə′lau̇·əns]
(design engineering)
An intentional difference in sizes of two mating parts, allowing clearance usually for a film of oil, for running or sliding fits.

allowance

References in periodicals archive ?
Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) - is the average daily intake level sufficient to meet nutrient requirements of almost all healthy individuals.
Clinton, a medical oncologist at Ohio State University, Columbus, predicted that physicians will become more comfortable using recommended dietary allowances to advise patients about calcium and vitamin D intake and noted that vitamin D screening "probably should not be part of routine medical care.
The recommended dietary allowance of protein for young Pakistani female has been fixed at 66.
Vitamin C pharmacokinetics in healthy volunteers: evidence for a recommended dietary allowance.
The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) is the average daily dietary intake level that is sufficient to meet the nutrient requirements of nearly all (97 to 98 percent) healthy individuals in each life-stage and gender group (10).
Men and women who had calcium intakes of fewer than 500 milligrams, or about half the recommended dietary allowance, were almost twice as likely to have periodontal disease, as measured by the loss of attachment of the gums from the teeth.
Oregon State University's Linus Pauling Institute, says the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin C should officially be doubled to a new level of 120 mg per day.
All of this adds fuel to the fire for those who believe that the Recommended Dietary Allowance for folacin (a collective term for all forms of B6) is too low.
Persons who have had polyps may be getting the recommended dietary allowance for folate and still have a risk of colon cancer greater than someone next door who gets half as much.
This report summarizes selected findings from the nutrition survey relative to three HK2000 objectives: 1) increase to 35% the proportion of adults who consume five or more daily servings of fruits and vegetables; 2) increase to 40% the proportion of adults whose dietary fat intake constitutes <30% of their total food-energy intake (a lower fat diet); and 3) increase to 70% the proportion of adults who consume [greater than or equal to]600 mg of calcium daily (75% of the Recommended Dietary Allowance for adults aged [greater than or equal to]25 years [5]).
A teenage girl who drinks little milk but eats four slices of Wonder Bread daily would get her daily Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of 1,200 milligrams of calcium.
The nutrient intake of the subjects was compared with the Recommended Dietary Allowance for Indians given by the Indian Council of Medical Research |4~.

Full browser ?