Red Wing, city (1990 pop. 15,134), seat of Goodhue co., SE Minn., on the Mississippi River at the head of Lake Pepin; inc. 1857. It is a commercial and manufacturing center in the Hiawatha valley farm area. Farm products include grain, alfalfa, soybeans, livestock, and poultry. There is sunflower- and flax-processing; leather tanning; and the manufacture of soft drinks, bakery products, machinery, roller skating shoes, kitchen cabinets, and robotic systems. From 1836 to 1840, Red Wing was the site of a Swiss mission to Native Americans.