Living Church

(redirected from Renovationist Church)
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Living Church

 

one of the basic groups seeking renewal within the Russian Orthodox Church after the October Revolution of 1917 and the Civil War of 1918–20. Organized in 1922, it continued in existence until the end of the Great Patriotic War (1941–45). The members of the movement sought to “renew” the church, to adapt it to changed political conditions; they were loyal to Soviet power.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
By the end of the 1920s, the government, faced with widespread popular resistance to its antireligious measures and the failure of the pro-Soviet "Renovationist Church" to win significant support, allowed what remained of the Russian Orthodox Church to continue a de facto, but not a de jure, existence under close supervision.
Pokrovskii found only one figure: 1,559,592 spent by the commission in a single month (April 1922) on such items as transportation, porters, packaging materials, as well as on the anti-church campaign and the costs of supporting and transporting the "loyal" clergy.(30) The church valuables funds were also used by the GPU to prepare a constituent conference in Moscow on 29 May 1922 at which the "Living Church," the largest faction of the future Renovationist Church, officially came into being.
Trotsky applied the same term to the leftist clergy of the future Renovationist Church.