Born Jan. 28, 1880, in Galaƫi; died Apr. 1, 1962, in Bucharest. Rumanian painter and graphic artist. People’s Artist of the Socialist Republic of Rumania; member of the Academy of the Socialist Republic of Rumania.
Ressu studied at schools of fine arts in Bucharest (1897–99), Iaşi (1899–1902), and Munich. He also attended the Julian Academy in Paris (1902–07). In 1924, Ressu became a professor at the Institute of Fine Arts in Bucharest; he was appointed rector of the institute in 1955. From 1910 and through the 1920’s, Ressu produced satirical drawings for progressive newspapers and magazines. His works also include portraits and scenes depicting peasant life. Such works as Mowers at Rest (1925) and The Signing of the Appeal for Peace (1950) are distinguished by an unprejudiced treatment of images, a generalized rendering of precise plastic forms, and a restrained color scheme. (The above-mentioned works are in the Museum of Arts of the Socialist Republic of Rumania in Bucharest.)