Rostov Pedagogical Institute

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Rostov Pedagogical Institute

 

founded in 1930 in Rostov-on-Don. In 1975 the institute comprised departments of history, philology, foreign languages, mathematics, physics, natural science, industrial education, graphic arts, physical education, preschool pedagogy, and professional improvement. There are also evening and correspondence divisions. The institute has a graduate division, 35 subdepartments, and laboratories connected with the Scientific Research Institute of Schools of the RSFSR Ministry of Education and the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of the USSR. There is also a research section and a library with approximately 500,000 volumes.

During the 1974–75 academic year, the institute had 6,200 students and 370 teachers, including one academician of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of the USSR, 18 professors and doctors of sciences, and 162 docents and candidates of scienees. In the years since its establishment, the institute has educated 40,000 teachers.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.