Also found in: Wikipedia.
Rouergue(ro͞oĕrg`), region of S France, in the S Massif CentralMassif Central
[Fr.,=central highlands], great mountainous plateau, c.33,000 sq mi (85,470 sq km), S central France, covering almost a sixth of the surface of the country.
..... Click the link for more information. , coextensive with the present Aveyron dept. RodezRodez
, city (1993 pop. 26,794), capital of Aveyron dept., S France. It is a farm trade center; gloves and plastics are made. An episcopal see since the 4th cent., it was the historic capital of Rouergue. An impressive northern Gothic cathedral (13th–16th cent.) is there.
..... Click the link for more information. , the historic capital, and MillauMillau
, town (1990 pop. 22,458), Aveyron dept., S France, on the Tarn River. The center of the French glove industry, the town also has tanning and dyeing industries. Near Millau the Tarn is crossed by the world's tallest (1,125 ft/343 m high), and one of the highest, road
..... Click the link for more information. are the chief towns. One of the most mountainous areas of France, it is traversed by the Aveyron, Tarn, and other rivers, which form many deep gorges. Sheep are raised in great quantity and furnish milk for the Roquefort cheese industry. The county of Rouergue (or Rodez) and the viscounty of Millau were formed in the feudal period as dependencies of the counts of ToulouseToulouse
, city (1990 pop. 365,933), capital of Haute-Garonne dept., S France, on the Garonne River. France's fastest growing region, it is one of France's great cultural and commercial centers.
..... Click the link for more information. . They passed to the French crown in 1271 but were ceded to England by the Treaty of Brétigny (1360); they reverted to France in 1368. The lands passed eventually to the Bourbon family and were inherited in 1607 by Henry IV, who united them with the royal domain.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/