Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Andropov,city (1989 pop. 251,000), NE European Russia, on the upper Volga and the Rybinsk ReservoirRybinsk Reservoir,
artificial lake, c.2,000 sq mi (5,200 sq km), NW European Russia. It was formed in 1941 between the upper Volga River and its tributaries, the Mologa and Sheksna rivers, with the completion of the dam and hydroelectric station at Rybinsk.
..... Click the link for more information. . The site of a hydroelectric station, it is a major inland port with shipyards and factories producing road-building equipment, cables, and printing presses. Known since 1137, it has been a trade and shipping center for traffic between Moscow and Arkhangelsk since the 16th cent. The Mariinsk Waterway, built in 1810, linked Rybinsk with the Baltic for the first time. In the 1870s it developed as a shipping point to St. Petersburg. The construction of the Volga-Baltic canal system increased its importance as a river port. Between 1946 and 1958 the city was called Shcherbakov, and between 1984 and 1992 it was called Andropov, after the Communist party general secretary Yury Andropov.
(from 1946 to 1957, Shcherbakov), a city under oblast jurisdiction and administrative center of Rybinsk Raion, Yaroslavl Oblast, RSFSR. Rybinsk extends 22 km along both banks of the Volga River at the entrance to Rybinsk Reservoir. It is a river port; its railroad station is 79 km northwest of Yaroslavl. Population, 233,000 (1975; 24,000 in 1897; 56,000 in 1926; 144,000 in 1939; 182,000 in 1959; and 218,000 in 1970). Rybinsk is divided into two raions.
A settlement in the area of present-day Rybinsk first appears in a chronicle under the year 1071; the settlement was known as Ust’-Sheksna. After 1504 it was called Rybnaia Sloboda. After the Vyshnii Volok Water System opened in 1709, the town developed rapidly as a trade center and ship reloading point. From 1777 it was a district capital; from 1778 it was known as Rybinsk; and from 1796 it was part of Yaroslavl Province.
In the 19th century, Rybinsk was the largest trade center on the upper Volga, where as many as 100,000 barge haulers and stevedores sought work. After 1871 a railroad connected Rybinsk with the Baltic ports and St. Petersburg. In the late 19th century, as many as 100 million poods (1 pood = 16.38 kg) of grain alone passed through Rybinsk every year. Light industry and a shipbuilding industry developed in Rybinsk; the food industry included flour milling and vegetable-oil milling. In 1885 about 3,000 workers participated in a stevedores’ strike in Rybinsk. During the Revolution of 1905–07 there was a series of strikes in Rybinsk. Soviet power was established on Mar. 2, 1918.
Rybinsk is an important center of machine building. It has a shipyard, a printing plant, and plants that produce road machinery, motors, electrical equipment, cables, hydromechaniza-tion equipment, and woodworking machines. The food industry in Rybinsk is represented by milling, meat, and refrigerator combines, by a milk plant, by a confectionery factory, and by a plant that produces beer and nonalcoholic beverages. Rybinsk has a furniture and wood-products combine, the Maiak Match Factory, and plants that produce plastic goods, leather, and optical glass. It is the site of a 330-megawatt hydroelectric power plant. It has an aviation technology institute, aviation and printing technicums, medical and pedagogical schools, and a school for river navigation. Rybinsk has a drama theater, a puppet theater, a historical museum, and an art museum.
REFERENCESShilkin, V. Gorod Shcherbakov. [Yaroslavl] 1951.
Rapov, M. A. Rybinsk. Yaroslavl, 1968.
Ocherki istorii Iaroslavskoi organizatsii KPSS. Yaroslavl, 1967.