Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Saint David's,Welsh Tyddewi, small town, Pembrokeshire, SW Wales. The renowned town cathedral is mainly Transitional Norman in style, built of red-violet stone. Among its features is the late 13th-century shrine of St. David, the patron saint of Wales. The cathedral, after numerous additions and alterations, was restored by George Gilbert ScottScott, Sir George Gilbert,
1811–78, English architect. Prominent in the Gothic revival, he designed many public structures. He also directed a vast amount of Gothic restoration work, beginning with renovations of Ely Cathedral (1847) and including Westminster Abbey (where
..... Click the link for more information. in 1878. Across the Alun brook, which flows past the cathedral, are the imposing ruins of the Bishop's Palace (14th cent.). St. David's (ancient Menevia) was for centuries one of the most important places of pilgrimage in Great Britain; it is the focal point of several old roads. Saint David's Head, a promontory 2.5 mi (4.2 km) northwest of the village on St. George's Channel, is regarded as the southernmost limit of the Irish Sea. The headland to the southwest of the village is the westernmost point of mainland Wales.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/